Your source of FREE Ketogenic diet advice

Sunday 12 February 2017

Psychedelics, Ketosis & Gluconeogenesis

Get your copy of our Ketogenic cookbook HERE

Hey there keto folk,

I have a few questions for those of you that eat a ketogenic diet and also use psychoactive substances, such as/but not limited to the classic psychedelic substances - psilocybin as found in 'magic mushrooms', LSD etc. I'm guessing this will be few of you, who knows maybe I'll be surprised by how many psychonaughts we have present. :)

My question is how has ketosis altered, if at all, your psychedelic experiences? Perhaps you find it weakened the effects at first, until you adapted? or perhaps it made the effects stronger? or just the same as usual?

My observation is that when I trip eating keto (HF VLC moderate protein) the effects of LSD are massively reduced.

I have a theory that - as LSD increases the brains demand for glucose, if that need isn't being met rapidly enough the effects of the LSD aren't realized as efficiently per dose. If this was the case, then providing the necessary substrates for greater efficiency of gluconeogenesis (GnG) or replenishing with exogenous/pre-formed glucose, should increase the previously reduced effects.

So I tested on myself... 3hrs after I'd taken a dose of LSD which should've have very significant effects, yet just wasn't kicking in as it should - I ate 3 tablespoons of honey... within 10 minutes I was full blown tripping! Now, this wasn't just a sugar rush on LSD, it was night & day - there was barely anything resembling what LSD should be doing to a human being, then exactly what it should be doing; which imho is a pretty important thing.

So, in the context of my n=1 dose dependent efficiency of LSD, it appears that my brains glucose requirements aren't currently being met optimally in a keto overnight fasted state. I can't find any info on at what rate GnG can occur in response to an increased physiological glucose demand and how much that speed can depend on adaptation, and how much the rate of GnG depends on having readily available (exogenous) substrates for GnG. Then there's the question of how glycolytic is LSD, and whether GnG can meet that demand efficiently. TBH I feel well adapted to keto - I eat high fat moderate protein, often 'hypercaloric' yet effortlessly lean, steady energy.

I doubt most of you are offended by my drug fueled observations, however if you are, please don't be. I'm well aware high-fat-ketogenic-style diets can be very healing for people, just please bare in mind (as you write off the significance of my drug fueled observations), so can LSD.

Where's a Bear when you need him? :)

, ,

6 comments:

  1. This is so cool. I came to this blog looking for "LSD and ketosis" since I'm interested in kesosis effect on brain for people that suffers from cluster headhaches. Did you know lsd is used in microdoses to treat CH as well..I was looking for a connection and here I am. FYI here in Italy there is a neurologist studying ketosis effects on brain. He's brilliant and he has a FB group called "chetogenesi" (it's in Italian). His name is Cherubino Di Lorenzo I think he could give us some insight on what happened to you. I'm going to share the article on that FB page so if you are interested in following up join the group. Thanks for sharing mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I was wondering the same! I'm on a keto diet and I also microdose and I feel the effects to be a bit different. It could be less but I also wonder if keto and psychedelic state are somehow connected or similar, and that's why we feel is less, don't know. I won'tw the same thing and would be really cool having studies with this matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. keto + intermitten fasting + micro dosing = awekening

      Delete
  3. This is rad im about to dose this weekend on a 48 hour fast

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I have myself began a vegan keto diet a few weeks ago. I got really interested in micro dosing. Today before lunch I measured out 0.4g of psilocybin powder (remanences of whole shrooms at the bottom of a bag). Let me tell you. WOW. Thank god I had nothing planned for the day! I am a pretty high tolerance type of gal usually (not on keto). A standard dose will usually be around 3.5g. Now about 15 min after ingesting, I am DEFINATLEY feeling way more than I should while micro dosing. I have that typical giddiness, breath is deepened and everything feels accentuated. I really want to know what THATS about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some are bigger than others, and it seems like every one of them has their own unique line of psilocybin mushrooms. You should never buy anything unless you verify the legitimacy of the company and it's delivery methods. If you are curious to know more about magic mushrooms, head over to the website.

    ReplyDelete